Final details for everyone swimming or bringing swimmers (please also see the earlier post):
Venue: Prince Regent Swimming Complex, Church Street, Brighton, East Sussex BN1 1YA
Cormorants grown-ups: Paul Mason, Jane West, Phil Rayner
Timing at the pool
• Doors open at 17.00: I’d suggest leaving plenty of time, as parking in that area of Brighton can be tricky
• Warm-up starts at 17.30
• Racing starts at 18.00, and is currently forecast to finish by 20.00, not 21.00 as originally thought
• The minibus has to leave from Westgate by 16.00 at the latest. Please make sure you’re there by 15.45 so that we can get loaded and on the way in time. The cost is £3.00 per swimmer: please bring the right money, we won’t have enough pound coins and fivers to give everyone change!
• Currently on the bus (there have been a few changes to this, so get in touch if you thought you were on it but your name’s not on the list):
Ben Millard, Felix Talbot, Jasmine Westlake, Leila Solly, Helen Solly, Felicity Wise, Phil Rayner, Jess Rayner, Jane West and me.
• Estimated return to Westgate for the swimmers to be picked up is 21.00.
Last time I swam at Brighton the lockers took a £1.00 coin, which was returned, just like at Westgate.
We’d like as many swimmers as possible in Cormorants team kit: a hat for racing in at minimum, and a T-shirt or hoodie if they have one for poolside. This really helps everyone feel part of the team.
If you/your swimmer hasn’t competed before
When the doors open, there’s typically a bit of a bundle to a) get in and b) get a changing room and locker. Don’t panic: there’s always enough time to get out on poolside before the warm-up, even if you don’t get a changing room right away.
Although the gala is fairly short, it’s a good idea for the swimmers to have a water bottle and a snack with them. Personally I like to have a couple of bananas and some dried apricots in my bag. Other people prefer sweets like Jelly Babies or a Snickers for a little sugar boost.
Boys’ captain: Oscar Warrington
Girls’ captain: Felicity Wise
9 and under boys: Sean Savage, Dylan Atkinson, Max Sydenham
9 and under girls: Mathilde Butcher, Maddy Heywood, Gemma Appleton, Lauren Smith
10–11 years boys: Samuel Wren, Lucas Hutton, Jack Goacher, Joseph Stevens
10–11 years girls: Natalya Smith, Elise Tregus, Charlotte Brinsmead, Ellie Vigar
12–13 years boys: John Bugge, Ben Millard, Max Brinsmead, Nathan Ukrainec
12–13 years girls: Lauren Rainer, Leila Solly, Naomi Vigar, Jasmine Westlake
14–15 years boys: Ben Goacher, Felix Talbot, Oscar Warrington, Luke Smith
14–15 years girls: Bella Powell, Jess Rayner, Felicity Wise, Mia Clive